Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Golden Age of Hollywood

I'm not a major movie buff; I like certain films from the last decade or two, but not many. However, I love Old Hollywood movies from about the 1930s to the 1960s. That just seems like the glamorous period, when Hollywood films were good, and when the actors were good. In fact, the majority of my favorite actors are from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

First and foremost:

The absolutely gorgeous Lauren Bacall. My namesake and one of my favorite actresses; she's one of the last of the greats from this era left.


Bogart and Bacall, a still from The Big Sleep, 1946

This is my favorite photo of Natalie Wood (1938-1981). I always thought it'd be neat to portray her as a Chautauquan.

The beautiful half of Fred and Ginger- Ginger Rogers (1911- 1995)


The famous Fred and Ginger. The ruffles on both skirt and sleeves are ridiculous. Remember, Ginger did everything Fred did, only backwards and in high heels.

The recently departed Elizabeth Taylor (1932 - 2011)

The Original TV witch: Elizabeth Montegomery (1933- 1995)

Before Marilyn Monroe, there was Clara Bow, the original It Girl of the 1920s (1905 - 1965). I portrayed her my.... second or third year in Chautauqua. I still get flack for that portrayal.

Breakfast at Tiffany's is one of my favorite films. I've seen several of Audrey Hepburn's (1929 - 1993) movies and I love most of the ones I've seen.

I'm not a major fan of Marilyn Monroe (1926 - 1962), but I did like Some Like It Hot.
Grace Kelly (1929 - 1982), Princess of Monaco, before she married Rainier.
 Sidney Poitier, one of the best African American actors of all time.

The King, Yul Brynner (1920 - 1985). I'd dance with him any day.

The King and I's Anna Leonowens, Deborah Kerr (1921 - 2007)
The famous 'Shall We Dance?' still from The King and I (1956)

There are several more actors and actresses that I like from Hollywood's Golden Age, but the list is long and would take more willpower than I have right now to upload. These are just a few of the actors and actresses I like.

Most of them have truly classic beauty, don't they? If only we were all so lucky....

No comments:

Post a Comment